Friday, December 17, 2010

Check out January's Bon Appetit!

Starting on page 100 they ask the question, Which is the next cupcake?  The French macaroon or the Whoopie pie?    Should I keep you in suspense and force you to leaf through your own copy of the magazine?  Naahh.  They chose the macaroon! For all of you followers out there (all one of you, hi!) who are wondering why we are calling our macaroon the snackeroon, let me enlighten you.  The traditional French macaroon is a sandwich cookie with filling, a little bit more decadent than the standard Oreo.  They are made from almond flour, egg whites and sugar.  Although my macaroons can be sandwiched (and look so pretty!), I chose not to sell them that way.  Why?  Well, shelf life is the big reason.  Once you add the filling, the cookies starts to get soggy and  no one likes a soggy cookie.  Also, making and adding filling is another step.  If you just have the cookie part, you can pretty much do anything you like with them.  You can dip them in chocolate sauce (go to http://www.kokkugourmet.com/ for some awesome chocolate), you can make your own sandwich (try nutella or buttercream or jam or pudding) or just eat them plain by the handful (my husband and kids are experts at that).

One by-product of making all those macaroons is all of the egg yolks I have left over.  I seriously have at least 18 holding court in my fridge right now!  Ideas?  Bon Appetit gave me a good idea.  Right after they printed the recipe for their version of macaroons, they print their whoopie pie recipe, and it uses 2 yolks per batch.  Any guesses as to what I may start baking next?

Back to my quest to try to bake something from the avalance of cookbooks and magazines I have.  I think I found a recipe to try (that the picky family might actually eat).  We are going to try the Coriander Chicken Tostadas with Refried Beans and Grilled Fennel on page 85 of January's Bon Appetit, and possibly the S'mores cupcakes on page 14 and maybe the Sweet and Spicy Bourbon Sauce on page 98. 

There you are....your bit of nonsense rambling for the day.

3 comments:

  1. Aunt Tracy,
    I am so proud that you found the time to do this, with those rambunctious cousins of mine running around(: I wish you luck with this, and ill do everything i can to help in anyway(:
    With Love,
    Kyle

    p.s. Merry Christmas(:

    ReplyDelete